Mar 31, 2023  
2017-2018 Evening, Weekend, Online Academic Catalog 
2017-2018 Evening, Weekend, Online Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Classifications (Undergraduate)

The following sections state some of the specific criteria used for identifying Lakeland students in class level categories. In several cases, the sections include policies that apply only to the students classified in a specific category.

Class Year Classification

All students who have been officially accepted by the university as candidates for the bachelor’s degree will be classified as freshmen, sophomores, juniors, or seniors according to the following criteria:

Freshmen Students who have earned fewer than 30 semester hours.
Sophomores Students who have earned at least 30 but fewer than 60 semester hours.
Juniors Students who have earned at least 60 but fewer than 90 semester hours.
Seniors Students who have earned 90 or more semester hours.

Full-Time and Part-Time Classification

Students must be enrolled for at least 12 semester hours of coursework in a term to be considered full-time students. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 semester hours to be considered half-time students. All students who are enrolled in fewer than 12 semester hours of coursework in any term in the Kellett School will be classified as part-time students. International students must be enrolled in a minimum of twelve (12) semester hours of credit during the spring and fall terms.

Overload Policy

Twelve semester hours per semester is considered a full-time academic load. A student who wishes to take more than 12 semester hours during any one academic term must receive special permission to do so. The student’s previous academic record and current work schedule will be considered in the approval process, as well as any special circumstances which may be pertinent. No student may be enrolled in more than 18 semester hours. The following conditions apply:

  1. The student must have completed at least one prior semester at Lakeland University.
  2. The student’s cumulative GPA must be above 3.0.
  3. Students enrolling in 13-15 semester hours should not be employed full-time.
  4. Students enrolling in 16-18 semester hours should not be employed.

Special Kellett School Registration Classifications

In addition to the normal full-time and part-time classifications for enrolled students, there are three other categories at Lakeland in which enrolling students are guided by unique registration policies. Those three categories are high school advanced placement, Program for Alumni Career Enhancement (PACE), and special student registrations. In several cases, different classifications imply differences in tuition costs. For specific details regarding tuition costs, contact your Kellett School advisor.

  1. High school advanced placement students who wish to take courses at Lakeland University may do so with written recommendation from a high school principal, guidance counselor, or teacher and with approval of the Lakeland instructor presenting the course. In some cases, this arrangement is made through the State of Wisconsin’s Youth Options Program. All high school advanced placement coursework carries full college credit and may be applied toward a Lakeland degree. Interested students may contact the Office of the Registrar for details and deadlines.
  2. The PACE classification includes students who have previously graduated from Lakeland University and are currently enrolled in Lakeland coursework in order to strengthen or add a new major or minor of the same degree designation previously earned; develop a new area of interest, or complete requirements for a new profession.

    The PACE tuition benefit features a special cost reduction by offering traditional program classroom seats that would otherwise be unfilled to students on the PACE plan. Consequently, the PACE benefit may not be applied to out-of-classroom courses (i.e., independent studies, CPA/CMA courses, field experiences, and/or internships) or courses for which there is an enrollment waiting list.
  3. Special student classification is given to students not covered by the above classifications who have registered for a Lakeland course. Students in this category may be enrolled under a reduced tuition plan.

    Special registration will be granted only to those students who are not pursuing completion of a major or minor at Lakeland University.

    For more information about these special enrollment programs, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

Students in PACE and other special student categories are subject to the following unique policies:

  1. Enrollment in courses is on a space available or standby basis. Full tuition students will be given priority in all courses.
  2. With the exception of guaranteed student loans and the application of veteran’s benefits, no financial aid is available.
  3. Application for special registration enrollment must be made, in writing, to the Office of the Registrar.
  4. Internships, CPA/CMA, field experience, and independent study courses are not available for those classified as PACE or special students.

Changing from One Lakeland University Program (Traditional/Kellett School) to Another

A student who has not reached senior standing may change from one program to another by filling out a Change of Program Request Form, which is available from a Kellett School advisor. Graduation requirements will be adjusted in accord with the student’s new program. A student at senior standing must complete the requirements of his/her current program. A student may at any time enroll in courses through any undergraduate program. The student’s advisor must approve all registrations for any Lakeland University program.

A student at senior standing who has been away from Lakeland for one academic year or more and wishes to return but in a different program must apply for readmission. Such a student will be subject to the requirements of the new program.

Tuition charges based upon program enrollment and term of enrollment.

Undergraduate Students Enrolling in Graduate Courses

Undergraduate students with senior standing, a GPA of 3.0 or higher, and the appropriate foundation coursework may enroll in nine (9) semester hours of approved Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) coursework as part of their undergraduate degree. Students with senior standing, a GPA of 3.0, whose undergraduate work meets prerequisite requirements or who have the consent of the M.A.C. director may enroll in nine (9) semester hours of approved Master of Arts in Counseling (M.A.C.) coursework as part of their undergraduate degree. All nine (9) credits may be applied later to the credits required for a Master of Business Administration degree or the credits required for a Master of Arts in Counseling degree. Students must complete an undergraduate degree prior to enrolling in coursework in the Master of Education program.