May 18, 2022  
2019-2020 Traditional Undergraduate Academic Catalog 
2019-2020 Traditional Undergraduate Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Transferring to Lakeland

Students who wish to transfer to Lakeland from another college/university must be in good academic standing and must submit official academic transcripts from all other colleges/universities attended. Only those courses similar to Lakeland University courses in which the student has earned a grade of “C” or better will transfer. Grades earned at other colleges/universities are not included in the Lakeland University GPA.

The Lakeland credit unit is the semester hour, which is equivalent to 1.5 quarter hours. All work completed at other colleges will be converted to semester hours when evaluating transferable credits.

Upon acceptance to Lakeland, transfer applicants will receive an evaluation of their transferable credits with a listing of the courses required to complete a Lakeland University degree. All transfer students must complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of coursework at Lakeland University in order to earn a Lakeland degree.

Transfer Application Process

Students who wish to transfer to Lakeland University must submit the following to the Office of Admissions:

  1. An Application for Admission.
  2. Official transcripts from all previous colleges or universities. Such transcripts must either be sent directly to Lakeland University from the transfer institution or brought to Lakeland in a sealed envelope.
  3. Military transcripts, if applicable.
  4. ACT or SAT scores and high school transcripts for those applicants who have completed less than one year (30 credits) of college-level work.
  5. Evidence of English proficiency. This may be demonstrated by completion of a high school degree or equivalency in English, or earned a minimum of twelve (12) semester hours of transferable post-secondary coursework taught in English. If the applicant does not have evidence of English proficiency, refer to the information outlined in the international student admission section under letter a. above.

Note: Students majoring in Education, seeking admission into the Lakeland University teacher certification program, must also submit ACT or SAT scores at least two years before registering for student teaching and one year before applying for admission to student teaching.

Transfer Eligibility

Individuals who have earned a cumulative college GPA of 2.0 or higher will be considered for admission to Lakeland University. Students who have earned a cumulative college GPA of less than 2.0 may also be considered for admission if they have completed 30 or fewer semester hours of college work and would have been qualified for admission to Lakeland on the basis of their high school records. If final, official records are not on file at least one week prior to the start of Lakeland University classes, new transfer students will be asked to obtain and submit unofficial copies of records and/or grade slips before being allowed to register. Registration for subsequent terms will not be allowed until the application file is complete.

Transferring from Two-Year Schools

The college-level work of students transferring from accredited two-year colleges/universities or technical schools will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis. Lakeland University accepts up to 72 semester hours of transferred credits from any combination of accredited two-year schools. Students majoring in Early Childhood through Middle Childhood Education may be allowed to exceed the limitation on transfer credit from two-year institutions provided such credit is completed after their initial entry into Lakeland University and is part of their Early Childhood Education requirements.

Transferring as an Associate Degree Graduate

Associate degree graduates from approved two-year college/university or technical school programs will receive approximately two years of college credit when transferring to Lakeland. Lakeland University accepts up to 72 semester hours of transferred credits from any combination of approved two-year programs.

Transferring from Four-Year Schools

The college-level work of students transferring from accredited four-year colleges will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis. Lakeland University accepts up to 90 semester hours of transferred credits from any combination of accredited four-year schools.

Transferring with a Completed Bachelor’s Degree

Students who have completed a bachelor’s degree at another institution and wish to earn an additional bachelor’s degree at Lakeland University will be required to complete the coursework for the appropriate Lakeland major and, except for education majors, will be exempted from Lakeland’s Interdisciplinary Studies requirements. As with all other transfer students, those who are enrolling for a second degree at Lakeland must complete at least 30 semester hours of Lakeland coursework to earn a Lakeland degree.

Adult Student Admission

Students who do not immediately attend college after graduating from high school are termed “adult.” Adult applicants who have graduated from high school within the past three years must submit ACT or SAT test scores and high school transcripts with their application. Adult applicants who have been out of high school three years or more and whose grade-point-average was 2.0 or greater are not required to submit ACT or SAT test scores. The applications of adult applicants whose grade-point-averages are less than 2.0 will be reviewed by an Admissions Committee and additional materials may be requested.

Transferring from a Closing College

Students transferring from accredited colleges which have been forced to discontinue their academic program offerings may transfer up to 90 semester hours of coursework. Lakeland will accept all coursework credited to the student at the closing institution and will require the student to meet all applicable Lakeland requirements for the completion of the bachelor’s degree.

Taking Courses at Other Colleges

Lakeland students who wish to take a course at another college while enrolled at Lakeland must receive written permission prior to taking the coursework if the credits are to be applied to a Lakeland degree. Forms for obtaining such advance written permission are available from the Office of the Registrar. If a student is taking coursework at another college concurrently with his or her enrollment in Lakeland courses, the total course load may not exceed 18 semester hours in any term. Registration for more than 18 credits may be permitted by the Provost, if the student has a 3.0 GPA and if other conditions make the overload advisable. Only grades of “C” or better will transfer. Coursework taken through other colleges will not be included in the Lakeland GPA.